Monday, February 15, 2010

What's Wrong with a Little Cannabis?

This is an article I have been wanting to research on for awhile now. Why should marijuana be legal? What are the negative issues with marijuana. Well first lets talk about what it does to the average human when it is consumed.

Lets see.....it makes you fat dumb and happy, well pretty much. Lots of stuff: Short term memory loss, blood shot eyes, concentration loss, reaction time, fine motor skills. So very similar to alcohol. Marijuana's effect on the circulatory system is actually worse than that of nicotine. It actually speeds the heart up by fifty percent. It has also been determined to have the same carcinogens as tobacco.

Some other long term effects would be laziness, obesity, unemployment, child support, welfare and I am sure this list goes on.

Now are the things I listed above any worse than that of alcohol, probably not. Should alcohol be illegal as well? I don't think so but people will argue why should one be and the other not. I say it is legal now leave it alone. As for marijuana it is illegal leave it alone. Don't make it easier for a teenager to access. Do not put it at every Zip Trip, Stop n Go or 7/11 in America. Our nation already has a huge welfare issue. Creating another legal vice would be very foolish. I watched my 21 year old brother sell everything he owned to get the next bag of weed.

As for the people who think marijuana doesn't cause injury, accidents or even death the Office of National Drug Control Policy Shows that in 2006 there were 290,563 emergency room visits directly related to the use of marijuana.

For those who would argue the medicinal quality of marijuana I won't argue with that but it is far better if used in the form of marinol a synthesized form of mary jane. For more info visit. http://www.justice.gov/dea/ongoing/marinol.html

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure how I feel about legalizing pot. I often wonder if by legalizing it the government would be able to keep greater control on how much is being used and by who. I wonder if it were legal would less people be inclined to use because the thrill of using something illelgal is gone. If it were legal maybe less drugs would come across the border?? Dont' know...like you I think another drug being made legal is craziness, but the flip side is, if it was legal maybe some of the temptation to use would be gone, maybe not at first, but after the honeymoon and novelty was over. People want to do what they can't, so if they could, would they?? Just something to make you go hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think that if it were legalized to be allowed by prescription only by a licensed physician not some homeopathic quack it would be ok. Beyond that I think we are asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete