Friday, February 5, 2010

Arrest authority for tribal police

This is a topic that I see come to the surface every few years and apparently it is making a resurgence. I just finished reading an article from the Spokesmen Review about it. http//www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/feb/05/sheriffs-tribal-policy-protested/

Being in law enforcement in Idaho I have an opinion on this issue. I think some may agree and some may not. I would like to hear what others think about this. I also read a post from http://lawlib.lclark.edu/blog/native_america/?p=3323 a Native American blog. This blog basically state the Coeur d' Alene Tribe has submitted legislation that would allow Idaho POST certified officers working for tribal agencies to arrest Non-Tribal members and send them on to state courts.

It is my opinion that this would be a bad idea right now. While I believe the Coeur d" Alene tribe to be a good agency I don't feel that way about another tribal agency in the state. I won't say which one. I have had bad experiences with them and do not trust their officers. I have sources within their agency telling me that they have officers who were hired that had been arrested previously for felony drug charges on the reservation. I have been warned by law enforcement officers with several agencies from city to federal levels telling me who to trust and whom not to.

I don't know the particulars of all of their hiring practices but they should meet a minimum standard before they are allowed to have full peace officer status in the State of Idaho. The other issue and this is tied to their hiring practices (correct me if I am wrong) when a tribal member is arrested for a crime on the reservation by a tribal officer that crime is not reported to the state court system. With that in mind when POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) completes a background investigation the charge will not show up. If this is true then members of the tribe that apply for tribal officer positions should not be able to be POST Certified.

1 comment:

  1. If you go to the KREM 2 site there is an interesting conversation going on about some of the local ideas about this issue. I am still holding to my previous statement that if all criminal activity by tribal members was reported to the state judiciary I would support it.

    ReplyDelete